Getting a Commercial Pilot License (CPL) allows you to fly aircraft for commercial purposes. It is the first milestone for candidates aiming to become commercial pilots. To obtain a CPL course in Australia, you must complete a flight training program, including flying practicals.
The course includes subjects like aerodynamics, air law, loading fundamentals, performance fundamentals, navigation, aircraft type course, gas turbines etc. It also includes basic and advanced flying techniques, navigation, night flying, and advanced flying manoeuvres.
What are the Requirements of a CPL Course?
To enrol in a CPL course, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Individuals applying for the course must be at least 18 years old.
- A candidate should be able to speak and understand a certain level of English.
- Candidates must hold a CASA class 1 medical certificate from CASA.
- The candidate should pass the FTA (Flight Training Adelaide) selection program successfully. This program consists of the following:
- Interview and aptitude assessment
- Core skill test (if only applicable)
- Computer-based aviation theory assessment program
- Application for prior recognised learning
What is the CPL Exam Structure?
The Commercial Pilot License exam consists of seven exams:
- CPL Aircraft General Knowledge (CSYA)
- CPL Navigation (CNAV)
- CPL Operation, Performance & Flight Planning (CFPA)
- CPL Meteorology (CMET)
- CPL Flight Rules & Air Law (CLWA)
- CPL Aerodynamics (CADA)
- CPL Human Factors (CHUF)
70% is the passing mark for each exam, and 80% is for Flight Rules and Air Law. All these exams are to be cleared within two years from the date of the first attempt.
Duration of CPL Course
If you are applying for a full-time course, the duration is about 15 months. The course will include both ground school instruction and flight training. The flight training component involves 190 hours of flight time, and the ground training is around 320 hours. The duration of this CPL course may vary depending on the flight school or training program you choose.
Cost of CPL Course
The cost of a CPL course in Australia can vary significantly depending on various factors. It includes the flight school or training program you choose, the type of aircraft you train in, and the location of the flight school.
The CPL course provides a comprehensive education in aviation and prepares you for a career as a commercial pilot. Becoming a commercial pilot is challenging but also rewarding. This career choice requires dedication, commitment, and a passion for aviation.
As several flight schools offer CPL courses, obtaining a diploma in aviation can help you stand out in the competitive market.