Singapore is one of the most technologically-advanced countries in the world. Since 1997, the Ministry of Education has been putting measures to ensure that technology is integrated into the education system. The efforts must have paid off because Singaporean schools enjoy wireless internet connectivity. You can also be sure to find at least one computer and a projection device in each classroom. But often, teachers and a large percentage of students use personal laptops.
With that said, it shouldn’t come as a shock that the Global Indian International School in Singapore (GIIS Singapore) established a unique scholarship for tech-savvy students. The Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship is specially crafted for tech-savvy students.
What does the scholarship do?
GIIS’s Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Scholarship was established to provide tech-savvy students opportunities to access quality education. These students can then enjoy the benefits of quality education while improving their tech skills. The icing on the cake is that the scholarship is available to students in all grades. Tech-savvy students can begin developing their tech skills at an early age.
Why should a student apply for this scholarship?
There’s an endless list of reasons why this scholarship at the best international school in Singapore deserves your attention. Here are some of the primary reasons:
1. Affordability: Education is expensive. Parents spend millions of Singapore dollars educating their children in the best schools. The expenses spent on tuition fees make winning a scholarship seem like a dream come true.
The beneficiary can go to one of the best schools in Singapore, like GIIS Singapore, without worrying about affording the tuition fee. Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship covers 9% to 19% of the tuition fee for one year. That’s a chunk of the GIIS Singapore tuition fee.
2. Quality education: As mentioned above, GIIS Singapore is in a league of its own compared to other Singaporean schools. The school has received accolades for its innovation and high-quality education. Therefore, although students receive the scholarship to nurture their tech skills, they also receive international level education. GIIS Singapore integrates top-notch curricula, such as GMP, IBDP, CBSE, IGCSE and CLSP.
3. Modern resources: For students to be the best at what they do, they need the best resources. GIIS Singapore doesn’t disappoint. The school provides modern tech equipment and facilities. The only thing students have to worry about is improving their skills and preparing for competitions.
4. More scholarships: The school has four annual scholarship cycles every three months. Why is this important information? Well, after the one-year scholarship comes to an end, students can apply for a different scholarship or renew the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship.
5. University placement: The best part of going to school at GIIS Singapore is the ease of admission into various local and international universities. Over 80% of the students at GIIS receive immediate admission into the university.
6. Holistic development: All-round development is essential for all children. The school should lay a firm foundation for their future throughout the learning process. At GIIS, the 9GEMS framework ensures students are moulded into well-rounded adults.
How can a student apply for the scholarship?
The application process for Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship is pretty straightforward. Students and parents can visit the school website and follow these simple instructions-
Students should provide credible paperwork to show that they are Singaporean citizens or permanent residents. The scholarship is not open to international students. However, the school has various scholarships that cater to international students, such as the Global Citizen Scholarship.
2. Students should provide authentic certificates to show their participation at the regional, national, or international level in any of the following categories:
The candidate must have invented a digital tool related to coding, app development, robotics, artificial intelligence, or virtual reality.
The candidate must have written a technology-related thesis, paper, or published documents.
For reference, some of the tech competitions acknowledged by GIIS include Olympiad competitions, National Space Service, ISRO Space Quiz, National Children’s Science Congress, and competitions organised by Google, Adobe, Microsoft, and Intel.
3. Students should attach a two-year academic performance. Similar to all GIIS campuses, GIIS Singapore prides itself on many academic accolades. GIIS encourages students to maintain above-average academic performance.
4. Before applying, students are required to complete a scholarship test. This test can highlight several questions or requires students to write an essay.
5. After the application is submitted, GIIS goes through the application and invites the successful candidates to a one-on-one interview.
The interview is the last step before the official beneficiaries are selected. You should note that the scholarship is open to new and current GIIS students.
There you have it. This article is a simple guide on why tech-savvy students need the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Global Skills Scholarship and the steps to apply for it. Hopefully, you have gathered enough information to smoothen the application process.